Letter to Sweet-Bear

My sweetie bear,

I love how you love cuddles, kisses, how you drop everything and run to the door when I tell you “Daddy's home”!

I hope one day you will learn how to kiss us on the cheek and say “I love you too”. I love your charm, sense of humour, your giggles and goofy faces. I hope that sparkle and light in your eyes never goes out.

I love your ability to show your feelings and how you try to make your needs known without the words to express them. I hope your expanding vocabulary grows and grows until you are understood by all. I love how quickly you forgive me when I lose my patience with how difficult the “simple” things in life can be with you.

I hope you will have patience with me while I try and help you to make sense of the world, so poorly fit to your way of thinking. I love your stubbornness and your innate sense of what is right and wrong for you, though I don't always understand why. I hope you use them as your guide whenever Mommy and Daddy can't be there for you.

I love to hear about all the gains you've made when I talk to your therapists at the end of the day. I hope you know we're proud of you every single day, proud of all the hard work you do to learn what comes so easily to others. I love how you prove me wrong every time I'm ready to throw in the towel, believing we will never achieve a certain goal or skill.

I hope you know it is frustration at my own shortcomings, NEVER YOURS. I love all your special gifts and talents, and there are many. I hope you know how clever you are and that with hard work there is nothing you can't accomplish.

I love that you are Canadian, and are being raised in a safe, beautiful country. I hope the people in the province of your birth will stand up and make it known that you belong, that you deserve a shot at a happy, fulfilling life. I love knowing that even if Campbell doesn't keep his promise to you that we'll persevere....though I will be your therapist more hours in the day than I can be your Mommy.

I hope I will not fail you and that when you grow up you will understand I did my best for you.
I love you more than words could say, you are a joy. I hope you feel loved and included---you deserve all the best things in life!

Mommy XOXOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment